The Forbes Woman Africa Entertainer Award, 4th most powerful celebrity in South Africa and Glamour magazine’s Woman of the Year are some of the prestigious accolades DJ Zinhle has won for her smashing performance in the South African entertainment world.
Zinhle is a total package: she is a top-notch disk jockey, a fast-rising businesswoman, a media influencer, and producer. Although she has excelled in all of her business dealings, it was her career as a DJ that earned her a spot in the league of celebrities. Since she debuted, she has collaborated with notable artists in South Africa, and all of her works are nothing short of amazing.
Summary of DJ Zinhle’s Profile
- Full Name: Ntombezinhle Jiyane
- Stage Name: DJ Zinhle
- Place Of Birth: South Africa
- Date Of Birth: December 30, 1983
- Age: 50 years old
- Occupation: DJ, Producer, Media Personality, Producer
- Most Notable For: Her hit track, Umlilo
DJ Zinhle Was Born In South Africa
Dannhauser, a former coal-mining town in the province of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa is exactly where the Umlilo singer was born. Her parents welcomed her into the world on December 30, 1983. DJ Zinhle comes from the largest ethnic group in South Africa, Zulu. Her people mainly live in KwaZulu-Natal and are known for dominating the entertainment industry.
Other heavyweights from her town include Uzalo actress Gugu Gumede, Wiseman Mncube, Thuthuka Mthembu, Somizi Mhlongo, Minnie Dlamini, Kelly Khumalo, Leleti Khumalo, Baby Cele, Thando Thabethe, and Pearl Thusi.
Though the disk jockey is popularly known by her stage name DJ Zinhle, her real name is Ntombezinhle Jiyane, which means beautiful girls. The first part of her name – Nhlenhle – was what her father used to call her in her childhood.
She Spent Part Of Her Life In Newcastle
DJ spent most of her childhood in her birthplace and later at Newcastle, municipality, in KwaZulu-Natal province. It was during her stay in the town that her parents enrolled her at Siyamukela High School, Emadadeni, for her high school education. Further information about her childhood and early life is not documented.
Though the DJ has since left Newcastle to seek greener pastures, the period she spent in the town was instrumental in shaping her life towards greatness.
For DJ Zinhle, Family Is Everything
Family, some say, is more important than the world. DJ Zinhle’s love for her family cannot be compared. She doesn’t hide her love for them, and this makes her a beautiful soul. The Umlilo crooner was born to South African parents – Mrs. Jabu Jiyane and her late husband. She is very fond of her parents and siblings. The media personality shared that her father was the one who gave her the name ‘Ntombezinhle,’ and that he was one of the most important people in her life before he passed on.
She is yet to share personal information about her father, including his name and origin, as well as how and when he died. The popular DJ has a tattoo of her father on her body. According to her, Luther Vandross’s song, Dance with my Father, reminds her of her father.
DJ Zinhle’s relationship with her mother is amazing. She often showers praises on her and also credits her for the successes she has made so far both in her personal life and professional career.
The KwaZulu-Natal media personality has a sister called Gugu Jiyane and a brother known as Zak Jiyane. The two, unlike their sister, are strangers to the spotlight. They keep a low profile and hardly clamor for media coverage.
Outside Of The Family She Was Born Into, DJ Zinhle Has Also Created Her Own Family
She started dating popular rapper AKA towards the end of 2014 and later revealed the true nature of their relationship through her Twitter feed after AKA won hip hop awards in the same year. Their relationship turned sour and led to the two parting ways in 2015 after AKA had an affair with celebrity media personality Bonang Matheba.
Zinhle and her man ended their relationship barely a month after they welcomed their baby girl named Kairo Forbes together. She was born on the 8th of July, 2015. Afterward, Matheba and AKA publicly declared their love for each other in 2016, and in 2017, the two parted ways after Bonang cheated on the rapper.
DJ Zinhle found her way back to the arms of AKA in 2018 after she wrote that she was ready to be with the father of her child. However, their relationship was short-lived as they broke up in 2019 for reasons that are best known to them. Since then, the couple has remained cordial and good friends for the sake of their daughter.
DJ Zinhle is rumored to be in a relationship with a fellow disc jockey, DJ Murdah.
Timeline Of DJ Zinhle’s Relationship
- 2004 – DJ Zinhle started dating rapper AKA.
- July 2015 – The two welcomed their baby girl Kairo.
- August 2015 – She and AKA called it quits over the rapper’s cheating scandal.
- 2018 – DJ Zinhle reconciled after AKA left Bonang for cheating on him.
- 2019 – The couple called it quits again.
DJ Zinhle’s Brother Was Instrumental In Her DJing Career
When Zinhle moved to Johannesburg in 1999 to major in TV Presenting in the university, her goal was to become a TV presenter after her education. However, she developed an interest in entertainment after falling in love with SABC 1’s YOTV presenters, and what they do. YOTV is a South African teen TV show.
DJ Zinhle started working as a Brand Manager in South African Breweries after her education. While she was still working, she picked interest in DJing after seeing her brother gather and mix vinyls. She later dumped her love for TV presenting and started investing her time and effort in musical materials.
Zinhle launched her disc jockey career in the year 2004 and subsequently earned her first major job on the SABC 1’s dance show, Jika Majika. She was the headline artist for the Sisters with Soul Concert and the inaugural Red Bull Music Experience in Cape Town. The KwaZulu-Natal native has also worked with notable artists, including South African entertainment elites Khanyi Mbau, Dr. Malinga, Mphoza, as well as the Afro-Pop, kwaito group Boom Shaka.
DJ Zinhle’s Professional Career At A Glance
- Jiyane launched her DJ career in 2004.
- She earned her big break after featuring on the show Jika Majika.
- She has four albums under her belt.
- Her popularity skyrocketed after she dropped the song ‘Umlilo’.
- DJ Zinhle has worked with prominent faces in the entertainment industry.
- She recently launched her TV series intending to empower women through it.
- Zinhle is the co-writer of the book Meeting Your Power.
- She joined the SABC 1 talent show as a judge recently.
- DJ Zinhle has walked home with numerous notable awards for her performances.
She Has Released Four Albums, Namely:
- Dinaledi (Dinaledi (DJ Vetkuk vs Mahoota) (2012)
- Ashaayein (2018)
- Tsa Blomo (2011)
- Feminine Touch: Mixed By Dj Zinhle (2009)
Some Of Her Popular Songs From These Albums Include:
- Umlilo (2019)
- Go! (2020)
- My Name Is (2012)
- My Name Is (Remixes) (2013)
- My Name Is (Remixes) (2013)
- Against The Grain (2019)
- Banna Madisasi (Mixed by DJ Zinhle)
- Miracles (feat. Apple Gule)
- Heavy Duty (feat. Dj Zinhle & Gabriel Youngstar) (2019)
- Colors (2016)
- Uzobuya (2018)
- Tears (Mixed by DJ Zinhle)
- Pepe (Mixed by DJ Zinhle)
- Roots (Mixed by DJ Zinhle)
- Another Zulu (Mixed By DJ Zinhle)
- Church Lady (Mixed By DJ Zinhle)
- Tribal My Life (Mixed by DJ Zinhle)
- So Young So Bad (Mixed by DJ Zinhle)
She Equally Has An Impressive Resume
DJ Zinhle’s resume is littered with awards and accolades. Her most popular song, Umlilo, was released in 2019 and has raked in more than 5 million streams since it made its way to the competitive market.
When Zinhle was 35, she was named the Top Female DJ in Africa. She won this prestigious award two times in a row. In 2020, she won the Forbes Woman Africa Entertainer. Glamour Magazine, Oprah Magazine, and Bona Magazine have all added her to their lists of most influential people or women in Africa and the world, while Chanel 24 named her as the 4th most powerful celebrity in South Africa.
The Umlilo crooner recently launched her women empowerment Television series called It Takes a Village. She is the brain behind the book “Meeting Your Power,” which she co-wrote with the South African award-winning training and development coach, Nokubonga Mbanga. Recently, DJ Zinhle was unveiled as one of the judges on SABC 1’s talent search show, 1’s and 2’s.
— Afrocentric Literature (@afrocentriclit) September 25, 2020
DJ Zinhle’s Accolades
- Named one of South Africa’s Top 10 most influential women by Bona magazine
- Named one of 21 Most powerful African women by Oprah magazine
- Chanel 24 named her as the 4th most powerful celebrity in South Africa
- Glamour magazine’s Woman of the Year
- In late 2019, she was named as the Top Female DJ in Africa for the 2nd year in a row
- On 7 March 2020, she won the Forbes Woman Africa Entertainer Award